Tuesday, March 10, 2009

More Cartoons




This cartoon was entered in the Gaza Cartoon of the Year Contest and won an honorable mention. I was particularly drawn to this one because it seems to voice conflicting views. On the one hand, you have the Palestinian perspective: barren land, destroyed villages, IDF tanks entering the village aimed for destruction (despite the fact that it is already destroyed). The women using herself as a rocket, however, throws this image off. It admits that suicide bombing is a reality, which is not something I found in a lot of the Palestinian media sources. Ultimately, though it shows the disproportion of the forces, because how much harm can one women do compared to IDF tanks? This is misleading, though, because suicide bombings can do a lot of damage to a lot of innocent people. I would be interesting to know what your guys's take on this cartoon is, and what you think it's trying to say. Also, I uploaded some other cartoons as well that I thought were particularly striking.

2 comments:

  1. I find you analysis of the last cartoon very interesting because I had a very different initial interpretation. When saw the forked tree and the woman's stretched arms I saw a slingshot. The woman in the picture is the pocket of the sling and the band; she it not about to launch herself, but the baby in her arms. I saw it possibly a sort of sacrifice or possibly a metaphor that they are helpless and just doing what the can against the Israeli tanks. She may also be launching her child away from the conflict and destroyed area? I'm not sure if thats a very viable interpretation because it would seem counterintuitive that the mother would want to send he son away from the conflict. I'm not sure what I think it means, but i definitely see it as a woman launching the child and not herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah, I didn't even notice the baby the first time. That really changes it.

    ReplyDelete