Sunday, March 8, 2009

To bring a bit of humour to the issue...

I was searching youtube for videos about Palestine and Israel and I stumbled across this amazing website with 4 episodes of a cartoon about Ahmed and Salim. They are two brothers, wannabe terrorists, while their father is trying to get them to kill Jews and Americans or, the best thing - commit suicide by bombing themselves.

The authors are two young Israeli men (looks like they are students) but they claim not to make fun of Palestinian people or Muslims, but of terrorists. It is very, very, very funny (or at least I thought so) and I decided to put it up on the blog. I found it very interesting that they combined aspects American culture (i.e. songs, TV shows, game consoles, etc.) and that they had "re-created" Arabic from a bunch of other languages - English, Hebrew, Arabic (I hope...), Spanish, Italian, and I am sure a dozen more.

Anyhow, it shows terrorism from a very funny light and it does trivialise it, but I suppose that is the easiest way to go around it, if one does not want to face the real problems behind it.
Anyway, if the link above doesn't work, here it is again: http://www.ahmedandsalim.com/

Do you think that it is crossing the line here, especially since it is Israelis who are creating these videos?

Enjoy! :)

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, I felt really uncomfortable while watching these episodes. I feel like most media satires point out some larger political message or theme, but all I can gather from this show are hateful stereotypes that only encourage a narrow minded view of the Israelis and the Palestinians (mostly the Palestinians here.) I'll admit that I enjoy watching the Colbert Report or the Daily Show, which bring humor to situations that are in fact often very serious, but most of the time, it is to bring irony to truth. Here, I don't see any informative context or beneficial commentary about the situation.

    ReplyDelete